Lesson Plan (PDF)
A Coroner is responsible for the investigation of all unnatural and unexpected deaths. They clarify facts surrounding death for public record, classify death and make recommendations to prevent future death under similar circumstances. Students will become knowledgeable on the role of the Coroner and become familiar with the procedure for a Coroner’s Inquest.
Upon completion of this lesson, students will:
- Become knowledgeable on the role of the Coroner
- Understand what is involved when the Coroner investigates a death
- Become familiar with the procedure for a Coroner’s Inquest
- What is the role of the Coroner?
- What happens in a Coroner’s Inquest?
- What are the different classifications of death?
- What are five main questions about the death that the Coroner tries to answer?
Topic 1: Role of the Coroner
Students will read about what a Coroner does and discuss the highlights of Handout 1: The Role of the Coroner.
Topic 2: Mock Coroner’s Inquest
Students will complete a role play exercise. They will be assigned different roles. Once students finish preparing, they will act out a Mock Coroner’s Inquest. There are two scenarios to choose from.