BC Social Studies Lesson Plans
How does the Royal Proclamation impact land claims in BC?
- I can explain why Aboriginal land claims in BC are complex and controversial.
- I can consider different perspectives on the Royal Proclamation of 1763.
- I can refute biased opinions with arguments based on the principle of fairness.
How do a country’s laws and policies reflect its values?
- I can summarize how Canadian immigration policies have changed over time.
- I can explain the importance of the Komagata Maru Incident and its significance in Canadian history
Was the residential school system a well-meaning mistake or was it a shameful abuse of power?
- I can discuss the importance of knowing about residential schools.
- I can determine the most significant events in the history of the residential school system in Canada.
- I can explain why it is important to redress a wrong even if it happened many years prior.
How might specific examples of past incidents of inequality be handled today under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms?
- I can describe historic discriminatory policies towards ethnic minorities and First Peoples in Canada.
- I can analyze ways the Canadian government justified discriminatory policies.
- I can explain how the Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects Canadians and reflects our values.