BC Social Studies Lesson Plans
What have been the turning points for women’s rights in Canada?
- I can identify Canadian women who were trailblazers for women’s rights
- I can analyze significant turning points in women’s rights in Canada.
- I can explain what needs to be done to remove barriers to gender equality in Canada today.
How have past governments of Canada used laws to discriminate against Canadian citizens?
- I can describe how the War Measures Act discriminated against some Canadians based on their race, ethnicity, religion, and political beliefs.
- I can make judgements about past discriminatory policies and assess how current legislation protects rights and freedoms.
- I can explain the importance of balancing individual rights with the need to protect security and order.
What are the costs and benefits of free trade for Canada?
- I can name the major trade agreements that Canada is involved in.
- I can consider the pros and cons of free trade from different points of view.
- I can respectfully and thoughtfully debate the costs and benefits of Canada’s involvement in free trade agreements